My friend Lisa is the new Donations/Supplies Coordinator for AHOPE for Children. As most of you know, AHOPE is an organization that provides a nurturing home in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, for orphaned HIV positive children, provides care for HIV positive children in the community through an outreach program, and educates the community about AIDS prevention. Thanks to Dr. Jane Aronson's Worldwide Orphans Foundation, the children at AHOPE are now receiving life-saving antiretroviral drugs and many of them are thriving.
Lisa sent this message out to the masses in an attempt to organize an effort to get much needed donations to the orphanage. Her message follows:
Because AHOPE has a very limited budget for basic items like clothing, diapers, and toys, we depend on the generosity of individual donors for these things and on traveling adoptive parents and volunteers to help deliver the donations. We realize that adoption agencies also rely on traveling parents to transport supplies for their orphanages, and do not wish to commandeer luggage space that the agencies depend on. However, if you have room in your luggage to take donations to AHOPE, we would be very grateful for your help.
There are several ways that you can help the children of AHOPE.
- If you are traveling to Ethiopia, you can collect donations from the needs list and carry them over. Any amount, large or small, is appreciated.
- If you are traveling and are able to carry donations that others have collected, I will gladly arrange to have items delivered to you.
- If you are not traveling to Ethiopia and would like to gather donations, please contact me and I will match you with somebody who is traveling and is able to carry your donations to AHOPE.
- To make a financial donation or to learn more about AHOPE, please see the website: http://www.ahopeforchildren.org
- If you carry donations over, you can visit AHOPE and deliver the donations, or I can arrange for somebody to pick them up from you.
- It is easier for AHOPE (in keeping track of inventory) to receive a larger amount of one or a few items (such as a large box of socks and shoes) than it is to get a variety of items (such as a box with three pairs of socks, one bottle of vitamins, two coloring books, one bottle of eye drops and one DVD). That being said, any and all donations from the list are needed and appreciated.
- Many people have asked about shipping donations to AHOPE. Unfortunately shipping items to Ethiopia is not only too expensive to make it cost-effective, but is also unreliable because of customs. Thus, it is not advised.
In the past few years, more families have become interested in adopting children from AHOPE. I am very happy to report that approximately twenty children have been adopted or are currently in process. When visiting AHOPE, please be sensitive to the fact that the children may be referred to a family. AHOPE has a photo policy in place that must be respected. Also, if you are interested in adopting a child from AHOPE and would like more information, please contact Erin Henderson, AAI's new HIV adoption coordinator at: email@example.com.
Below is the list of AHOPE's current needs. There are currently 70-80 children at AHOPE between the ages of infant and 14.
Band-aids and other general first aid supplies
Children's Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen, and Benadryl
Children's vitamins: Flintstones chewable or equivalent
Antifungal - Ointment and Shampoo
Sterile -First Aid gauze
Pediasure (complete balanced nutrition)
Electrolyte (oral rehydration solution - powdered form)
Amoxicillin (syrup, 250mg tablet)
Augmentin (150 mg .312mg, 5ml syrup)
Cloxacillin (syrup and 250 mg capsule)
Special Requests from our nurse:
- Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics 18th Edition with CD
- Textbook Of Pediatric Infectious Disease - current edition
- Harrison Textbook of Internal Medicine -16th Edition
Arts and Crafts supplies
Preschool supplies: crafts, workbooks, coloring books, etc.
New or gently used clothing, especially sizes 8-12 (boys and girls) and boys sizes 3T-6
Because this letter is posted in a wide variety of places and on several message boards, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or would like to make arrangements for donations.
Thank you for considering the needs of the children of AHOPE. Feel free to forward this letter or post it where interested people may see it.
AHOPE Supplies Coordinator
Family blog: http://abushel-and-apeck.blogspot.com
Wife to Russ, Mamma to ten (three from Ethiopia)
Directions to AHOPE:
The older children's compound is around Mekanisa / Yilma Hotel; pass by Vatican Embassy/UNMEE office. This is on the road to the Norwegian Embassy.
The younger children's compound and the office are around Kelem Gebrail, near Victory Duty Free Shop on the Road to ALERT.
Cell phone: 0911-606-723. Or +251-911-606-723 if calling from abroad.
Office number: 0113-714-632. Or +251-113-714-632 if calling from abroad.